Monday, February 20, 2012

Big Problem On The Toilet

Yesterday turned out to be a beautiful day, no rain, very little wind and our wonderful dirt road was dried up. No standing water except for the big hole out in front of our gate. Speaking of water I decided to tackle the toilet problem after Sherry was up and moving around.

I got my tools needed for the job and turned off the water and proceeded to tear into it. Lets see, water off, take plastic foot pedal off, take cover off around base, disconnect water line to toilet, and remove the four nuts and washers. In doing this I noticed that one of the bolts was at an angle, not straight up and down. I am thinking now that this is not going to be good.

I carefully lifted the toilet up and out of the bathroom and to my surprise what did I notice that the floor flange that is screwed to the floor was cracked in three different places, Oh Crap.
(I guess that was an appropriate statement.) What in the heck am I going to do now!! I purchased some JB Weld and started to basically glue this thing up as a temporary repair. I let it set and then put it all back together. When I was setting the toilet back in place I was careful not to disturb the flange. Once in place I started to tighten the nuts being very careful not to tighten them to tight. I think once or twice before I must have tighten them too tight and it cracked then. I left a towel around the base to see if it has stopped the leak and will check it out in a day or two. Sherry told me last night that the toilet was too loose, so I will tighten it some more.

I have a SeaLand 510 Series toilet and they have three different floor flanges that they use.  I have no idea which one to buy. I am not much of a plumber when it comes to PVC pipe and repairs. So hear is my fix. I will buy the flange that will drop through the floor about 2 inches. I will then cut the pipe so I can place a rubber connection with hose clamps and that should do the trick. NO primer and no glue to mess with because that stuff sets as soon as you make the connection and no room for error. I need some room, if you know what I mean.

Oh I forgot to tell you that the furnace started to work again. I thought lets try it and see if it will put out some heat and it did. Thanks Lord. I don't know what was wrong with it but I really don't care as long as it works. I have had the furnace pulled out once before because when we bought the trailer it didn't work so I put a new circuit board in it and it worked. It seems that the trailers we buy it takes some kind of circuit board to get the appliance to work again. Go figure. Well that's about it for now. We are in a wait and see time on the toilet until I can get the new floor flange. Don't know what I may talk about tomorrow, hopefully it won't be about any more repairs, until next time............be safe.

1 comment: