Thursday, March 14, 2013

What Can You Do??

Over the past two years I have posted many items about Rv repair. Mostly about what I have done around our 5ver, toilet, air conditioner, water leaks that sort of thing. But I noticed I never told you how I was able to find the problem. So I thought in this post I would take a few problems and try to give you some kind of process that I go through.

Toilet and plumbing in general.

This can be an easy one. The first thing that I notice is usually water on the floor. Water, where it's not suppose to be, in an Rv is a killer. I found one time that there was water in the front of the toilet and none around the sides and back, conclusion, gasket that seals the toilet to the floor. Why, because if water is only in the front and nowhere else it must be the gasket. Was I 100% sure NO but its a start.

When I try to diagnose something I always use simple logic and common sense.

I have had numerous water leaks under the sinks. When travelling the connections vibrate and come loose. I turn the water off and re-tighten them or apply some "plumbers tape" around the threads and re-connect. No more leaks.

Water heaters.

The biggest problem with water heaters is that they don't produce hot water. Duh, no kidding! On mine I have a Suburban 10 gallon, with Direct Ignition and an electric heater. When I experience a problem with this heater I go outside,  pull the panel off and push the re-set buttons. On Atwood Heaters, from what I have researched there are no re-set buttons. I normally don't use the electric part of my heater just propane, but if you do check the circuit breakers first. All direct ignition means is that you don't have a pilot light to worry about. If none of this works then chances are that the circuit board took a dump or if you use the electric part only the heating element went belly up, or both.

Furnace.

Once again you turn on the furnace and no heat. There are many problems that can cause this. When this happened to me I went on the internet and started to research the unit I have. It is important to have the manufacturer's name and model number handy when you have a problem. I usually study the wiring diagram because it will tell me all the parts involved and if there may be a fuse to look for. Plus any kind of troubleshooting guide. My unit has a circuit board and when I pulled the unit out I found a fuse but it was good. Most of the time I have not had any problems with our furnace.

Electrical.

This can be a tough one. Most people don't like to mess with the electrical portion of their unit. If you don't have a clear understanding of this subject you may want to stay away from this. But some simple checks won't hurt.

To start with we will go into the 12 volt side first. My battery is dead. You need to check the batteries at least once a month for water or twice a month. If you found out that something doesn't work, like maybe some lights, locate the fuse box and check some fuses. This box would be similar to the one on your vehicle.
On the other side of the spectrum is the 120 volt, items that require you to plug into a wall socket. This system is very much like at your old house. You have a series of circuit breakers that are usually marked and labelled for you. Lets say that the microwave doesn't work. Go to the circuit breakers and see if one of them may have tripped.

This is just the tip of the iceberg but it might help solve a problem and save some cash down the road.

Until Next Time.........................Be Safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment